We go beyond the “little things for the environment” performed at the scale of the individual. We engage in collective action.
We build a cooperative for social, economic and political transformation, whereby we mean that:
• we transform the economy, society and the political system;
• we operate democratically, at the scale of the European Union, under the statute of a European Cooperative Society.
We unite the people that work and act together - that cooperate - in a democratic way, at the scale of the European Union, towards making our vision of a just, sustainable and happy society for the 21st century, the Society of Agreement, a reality. The Society of Agreement is based upon three mutually-supporting pillars:
1. pan-European democracy, in all public institutions and private organisations;
2. social justice and confidence in the future for all;
3. environmental sustainability, specifically: Greenhouse Gases emissions below net-zero.
Initiative without a legal form
We aim at a just, sustainable and happy society which we call the Society of Agreement. We want the Society of Agreement to be a reality in 2050 or before.
The Society of Agreement is based upon 3 mutually-supporting pillars:
- pan-European democracy, in all public institutions and private organisations (agreement among humans on decisions);
- social justice and confidence in the future for all (agreement among humans on the allocation of resources);
- environmental sustainability, with a prospect of sustaining human civilisation indefinitely and specifically: Greenhouse Gases emissions below net-zero (agreement of humans with the laws governing the geo-biosphere upon which we depend).
(Learn more on the meaning of these three pillars)
In the Society of Agreement, everyone enjoys his/her fundamental human, social and economic rights, lives from his/her work, in decent living conditions compatible with the finite resources of our planet, and is confident in his/her future and in that of his/her children, for the generations of today and those of the future. In this society, every citizen participates in a democratic policy- and decision-making at the scale large enough to have an impact, that of the European Union, and in all public institutions and private organisations. The Society of Agreement is comprehensively described in this document (ca. 60 pages).
The three pillars of the Society of Agreement support each other and are intimately inter-linked. Environmental sustainability is the condition for human civilisation to exist, and thus for justice and democracy to have a meaning. Social justice and confidence in one’s future are the prerequisite for the deep political agreements, long-term vision and frugality that sustainability requires. Democracy at all scales is the only area in which human autonomy can deploy in a sustainable, and thus materially-constrained, world. Only a strongly united and deeply democratic European Union has the political power and legitimacy to implement on time these deep transformations of our society, and to overcome the foreseeable resistance of economic and financial interests (learn more).
Download a full document explaining why social justice and pan-European democracy are both possible and absolutely necessary (14 pages A4 format)
We transform society, the economy and the political system towards the Society of Agreement as described here.
We transform the economy, society and the political system
We start acting now, within the existing legal, regulatory and public budget framework, by:
- supporting each other in our Cooperators’ Initiatives that transform the economy and society towards the Society of Agreement, and
- engaging as an organisation in Social Entrepreneurship Activities that are the prototypes of those to be implemented at large scale in the Society of Agreement;
We undertake a “30-40-50 Strategy” to reach the three pillars of this vision in parallel axes of effort, with staggered objectives:
- pan-European democracy in 2030, to have a sufficiently strong and unified political power to overcome the resistance of economic and financial powers,
- social justice in 2040, so that everyone has the confidence in the future necessary to engage in profound transformations of their way of life,
- environmental sustainability in 2050, for reasons of simple survival of human civilisation.
In our views, pursuing these three lines jointly and in parallel, being equally radical in the pursuit of each of them, in a coherent, long-term roadmap, is the only means to overcome the global challenges of the 21st century;
When the existing legal, regulatory, and public budget framework hinders the implementation of features of the Society of Agreement, we transform this framework democratically, by leveraging existing political institutions, towards the Society of Agreement. In order to do so:
- We define public policies leading to the Society of Agreement and integrated into the 30-40-50 Strategy, prioritize them into a medium-term action plan, and support them in the public debate;
- We participate in democratic political elections at all levels of public institutions, from the commune to the European Union, support our medium-term action plan, adapted to this level of public institution, and win positions of responsibility in assemblies and governments;
- We exercise political responsibilities in public institutions at all levels, to transform the world and society in line with this medium-term action plan, by mobilising the resources and instruments of public power: public regulation, public spending and investment, and taxation.
We operate democratically, at the scale of the European Union, under the statute of a European Cooperative Society
- We perform ourselves, with our own resources, and by mutually supporting each other, all actions within our individual and collective capabilities, that foster the development of the Society of Agreement;
- We work in a cooperative manner and in a spirit of mutual respect, kindness, encouragement and support, in a safe and trustworthy space, where everyone contributes to the common work according to his/her means and resources;
- We achieve together what we could never do in isolation: think and make our collective decisions, but also create and maintain the software, legal, conceptual, informational and hardware infrastructures necessary to support these thoughts and decisions;
- We rigorously apply the democratic principle of “one person, one vote” in all our decision-making processes, at the three key stages of initiative, amendment and prioritisation of actions. To achieve this, our processes and tools, such as the leading-edge deliberative democracy software KuneAgi (released under a free software licence) that we use to define our public policies, deliver first-in-class internal democracy;
- Our democracy is deliberative: we give ourselves the means and tools (in particular software) to discuss freely and in depth among ourselves, learn from each other and thus progress in our knowledge and reflection, and then take decisions that engage our entire organisation and are effectively implemented;
- We constitute, by virtue of our status as a European Cooperative Society, a single pan-European organisation recognised in each Member State of the European Union as a cooperative.
Finance and Main Partners
The CosmoPolitical Cooperative is currently under construction. As a cooperative society, it will be self-funded, with its own capital, brought by its Cooperators.
The CosmoPolitical Cooperative is in a paradoxical situation:
- a very developed concept and set of advanced software and legal tools;
- a very tiny group of members.
Therefore, the CosmoPolitical Cooperative is actively seeking:
- people wanting to engage as Cooperators;
- organisations willing to disseminate information about the Cooperative among their members;
- organisations willing to participate in the design or the implementation of Cooperators’ Initiatives or of Social Entrepreneurship Activities; or
- organisations willing to participate in the design of Public Policies.