The Non-Governmental Organisation Information and Support Centre (NISC) was registered at the Ministry of Justice on December 4, 1995. NISC is a non-governmental organisation established by the Open Society Fund Lithuania (OSF) under the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) initiative.
NISC STRATEGIC GOALS:
- Strengthening of the NGO sector (organisations): dissemination of information, consulting, training, methodological assistance, databases, various conferences and forums;
- Development and strengthening of NGO coalitions: development of NGO coalitions in various public policy areas, expansion of the NGO network, development of a national organisation uniting NGOs, development of an accountability system for the coalitions
- Strengthening of cooperation between NGOs and the government: monitoring legal regulation pertaining to NGO activities, preparation of law proposals for the Seimas and Government of the Republic of Lithuania, improvement of the 2% income tax donation mechanism, improvement of NGO funding systems on national and municipal levels, development of an NGO representation mechanism
- Improvement of NGO environments: increasing awareness of NGOs in society, development of the on-line bulletin The Third Sector, dissemination of information about Lithuanian NGOs in national and international publications, administration and renewal of the NISC website, creating a positive image for the NGO sector
- Development of volunteer work traditions: preparing and implementing a proposal for the legal regulation of voluntary work, creating conditions that could ensure the systematic compensation and execution of voluntary work, creating greater societal awareness about voluntary work.
THE NISC VISION: NISC is the main institution in the country striving to ensure balanced collaboration between non-governmental organisations and public administration institutions, as well as representing the interests of NGOs.
THE NISC MISSION: to unite the country’s non-governmental organisations in order to protect their interests and to strengthen the NGO sector on all levels.
In December 2019, 12 Lithuanian NGO umbrella associations (uniting more than 3000 NGOs all over the state) signed an official agreement for the foundation of such a coalition and pledged to collaborate in the representation of NGO sector interests in governmental institutions. The coalition’s work is coordinated by the Non-Governmental Organisations’ Support and Information Centre
NISC work principles
- Every NGO is important;
- Collaboration is necessary to achieve positive results in the sector;
- Clear goals and meaningful results that create added value for the sector are important;
- Every institution that we collaborate with or that supports us is our partner;
- The future success of our organisation depends on the transparency and accountability of our current activities.
Responsibilities of the NISC
- The NISC shall be a partner to all NGOs, not a competitor;
- The NISC shall strive to strengthen the sector, seeking out collaboration with the public and business sectors;
- The NISC shall remain independent of sponsors and politicians, maintaining its loyalty to the NGO sector;
- The NISC shall be an objective representative for NGOs in advocating and protecting their interests.
Finance and Main Partners
NISC is a member of the following international organisations:
- The World Alliance for Citizen Participation (CIVICUS);
- The Affinity Group of National Associations (AGNA);
- The European Network of National Civil Society Associations (ENNA);
- The European Civic Forum (CIVIC-FORUM);
- The Baltic Sea NGO Network (CBSS NGO);
- The Anna Lindh Foundation Network (ALF);
Finance sources: Ministries, EU funds, donations, others