Urgent Action Fund: COVID-19 Rapid Response Funding
Urgent Action Fund for Women’s Human Rights is a feminist fund that protects, strengthens and sustains women and transgender human rights defenders at critical moments. We intervene quickly when activists are poised to make great gains or face serious threats to their lives and work. We use online, text and mobile funding applications to respond to requests from women’s human rights defenders within 72 hours and have funds on the ground within 1-7 days.
UAF’s model of rapid response funding was built for moments like this, where quick infusions of funding can address immediate and urgent needs. As we see the COVID-19 pandemic continue to intensify and spread, we know that it will have a significant impact on the health, economic and wellbeing conditions of women, LBTIQ activists and movements, Black and Brown communities, and those living with disabilities.
In the coming weeks, UAF will be exploring ways to support virtual cross-regional dialogues and opportunities to connect and share information and practices across movements.
In the meantime, we would like to share with you important grantmaking priorities and shifts you should know about in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
We will prioritize activities related to COVID-19 community responses including:
* Wellness/healing/community care/trauma-related work
* Access for digital spaces and remote work/gatherings (ie. VPNs or other digital security tools)
* Feminist and intersectional public health responses to COVID-19
* Online advocacy campaigns
* COVID-19 awareness campaigns for communities without internet access
* Responses to Anti-Asian xenophobia and violence
* Documentation of human rights abuses as a result of COVID-19
* Services based work that now needs to be done online (ie. mental health services, counseling services, emergency kits), with a priority given to services for women, LBTIQ communities and their families
* Supporting the disability community and those with heightened/underlying health risks