The Alliance for Lobbying Transparency and Ethics Regulation (ALTER-EU) is a coalition of over 200 public interest groups, trade unions, academics and public affairs firms
The Alliance was born out of the need to provide a cohesive and consolidated approach to campaigning in Europe on curbing the influence of corporations on EU decision-making
It formalised as a coalition in July 2005 in response to the “European Transparency Initiative” (ETI) launched under the European Commission Vice President, Siim Kallas, that same year.
– To ensure that comprehensive and mandatory rules on lobbying transparency and ethics become the tangible result of the ETI process
– To advocate for a mandatory register for lobbyists and the development of a code of conduct for lobbyists, including the disclosure of financial information concerning lobbying activities.
– Coordination of campaigns for greater lobbying transparency
– Representation of its members concerns and demands to the EC
– Organisation of conferences and workshops in Brussels and across Europe to inform directly its membership and interested parties about the debate and consolidate a cohesive pan-European strategy;
– Facilitate information flow on relevant issues to its members.