The Foundation was created in 1956 by a clause in Calouste Sarkis Gulbenkian’s will.
The head-office is located in Lisbon and it also has a delegation in the United Kingdom (UK Branch) and a centre in Paris (the Calouste Gulbenkian Cultural Centre).
The Foundation actively pursues its statutory aims in Portugal and abroad through a wide range of direct activities and grants supporting projects and programmes.
The Foundation objectives are defined by field:
- promotion of portuguese culture in Portugal and abroad,
- support the Armenian Diaspora worldwide in order to preserve its language and culture.
- Organisation of performances by the Foundation orchestra and choir in regular annual seasons
- Organisation of solo and collective exhibitions of work by Portuguese and foreign artists.
- International conferences, meetings and courses,
- Award subsidies and scholarships for specialist studies and doctorates in Portugal and abroad,
- Support programmes and projects of a scientific, educational, artistic and social nature.
- Publishing, especially through its programme for university textbooks.
- Foster co-operation projects with Portuguese-speaking African countries and East Timor
- Active in various field of public interest
- Open to international cooperation in the field of arts, scientific reseach
- Grants and scholarships