The EID was founded in Vienna in 1999 to support the endeavours of individuals and organisations struggling for civil democratic society in South Eastern Europe.
After the year 2000, the EID began to gradually refocus its activities on EU Enlargement, Integration and Neighbourhood related policy matters.
– promote the dialogue between the decision makers and opinion leaders from within and beyond the borders of the European Union.
– become a new voice in the debates on the future of the EU.
– Acting as clearing house for trans-national projects in the third sector, the EID additionally organises colloquia, seminaries, symposia and conferences pertaining to European integration and perspective.
– In spring 2001, the EID launched the «European Network for Democracy» (END) project on an interactive Internet database serving to gather data on Non Governmental Organisations in the post-communist countries of Europe www.europe.or.at
– the project European Network for Democracy
– the guidance of its Board members from 20 European – EU and non-EU – countries.