The World Forum for Democracy is a unique platform for political decision-makers and activists to debate solutions to key challenges for democracies worldwide. By identifying and analysing experimental initiatives and practices, the Forum highlights and encourages democracy innovations at the grassroots and their transfer on a systemic level in order to strengthen the foundations of democratic societies. The Forum thus contributes to the evolution of democracy towards more participatory and inclusive structures and institutions.
The theme of the 2022 edition of the World Forum for Democracy is “Democracy: A new hope?”
The core content of the Forum will consist of discussions about successful initiatives and actions, which have real-life initiatives as a starting point. General guiding principles will then be drawn to encourage and support future policy responses and field action. In this context, the Youth Department will invite 50-60 young people to participate and engage with decision-makers and opinion-formers in a reflection on the question of Democracy and Information.
All candidates must apply in 2 parts:
The application form must be submitted on-line before 2 August 2022 CET 13:00 (1 p.m.), together with a support letter from your NGO/sending organization if this is appropriate. In case of technical problems with the use of the platform, please send an e-mail to youthapplications[at]coe.int .
In order to be selected and participate in the World Forum 2022, youth applicants should:
▪ Be aged 18-30 (exceptions can be made in special cases);
▪ Be able to communicate and work in English;
▪ Be actively involved in civil society democracy initiatives;
▪ Be motivated to contribute to developing new ideas on youth and democracy;
▪ Be ready to share own challenges faced in relation to democracy;
▪ Be ready to adopt a solution-oriented approach by bringing in new ideas and visions on the question of democracy;
▪ Be available to participate fully in the World Forum for Democracy and the preparation process beforehand (i.e. online preparation and onsite presence in Strasbourg arriving on the 4th November and departing on the 10th November).
Travel expenses and visa costs will be reimbursed upon presentation of the relevant receipts, according to the rules of the Council of Europe. Only the participants who attend the entire event (pre-Forum meeting and World Forum) can be reimbursed. The payment will be made by bank transfer after the World Forum. Prepaid tickets for travel can only be arranged in exceptional and justified cases.
Board and lodging are provided and paid for by the Council of Europe during the dates of the activity (arrival on Friday 4th November and departure on Thursday 10th November). Participants will be accommodated at the European Youth Centre in Strasbourg (EYCS). You might be requested to share a room. The EYCS is fully accessible to young people with disabilities and ready to adapt to young people’s special needs in order to ensure full inclusion and quality working conditions. Wi-Fi is provided in the rooms.