What do you want to achieve with this project?
The Energy Charter Treaty is an obscure international treaty giving corporations the power to sue governments for billions for climate action, including policies to phase out coal, ban oil drilling, or reverse failed energy privatisations. The ECT poses a fundamental threat to our democracies, people, and the planet. Companies have already cashed in over $51 billion in taxpayers’ money, and they’re after $35 billion more. The good news? A movement is growing to stop this dangerous treaty.
Join an online course for activists, trade unionists, policy-makers and journalists to get up to speed with all key relevant aspects of the debates around the ECT in just 5 weeks, through a highly interactive methodology.
What are the details of the project?
- Five 1.5 hour live sessions every week [15 April, 22 April, 29 April, 6 May, 13 May from 12.30 to 14.00 CET] featuring international experts.
- Each session will include interactive methodologies such as quizzes, role-playing, exercises, break-out groups and time for discussions.
- Key background material selected by experts.
- Discussion and quiz questions to help participants reflect on how discussions apply to their own context.
What will I learn?
In just 5 weeks, participants will gain better understanding and capacity to debate on:
- How can the ECT impede urgent climate action?
- How investors have used the ECT over the last 20 years?
- The biggests myths used to promote the ECT and how to counter them,
- The state of play on the expansion of the ECT to the Global South and which countries are at risk,
- The rising backlash against the ECT and the modernisation process,
- What’s best: fixing, leaving or killing the ECT?