This is a call to the European Union to place culture at the heart of its political vision and ambition for years to come. The proposed Cultural Deal for Europe can help to mainstream culture in its key policies. We – Culture Action Europe, European Cultural Foundation, Europa Nostra – are now putting forward specific suggestions for the European Union.
In our renewed Cultural Deal for Europe statement, looking ahead to 2024 and beyond, we call on the European Union, EU Member States, and wider Europe to:
- effectively use the National Recovery and Resilience Plans for culture: with civil society, for the benefit of independent cultural scenes, for highest-quality conservation and restoration of Europe’s heritage
- make a European Cultural Deal for Ukraine part of the Cultural Deal for Europe
- develop a new, ambitious and genuine EU cultural policy, hand-in-hand with civil society
- find innovative ways of working together with the European philanthropic sector to address emergencies faced by cultural sectors, now and in the future
- establish common and ambitious standards for working conditions for artists and cultural workers across Europe
- speed up efforts to realise the potential of culture for sustainable development and social justice, and to fully incorporate culture in the European Green Deal
- place culture in the heart of discussions on the future of our continent and in the 2024 European Parliament elections
Read the full statement and endorse the campaign via the link below.